How are indirect costs allocated to projects in Core?
Indirect costs (overheads, etc.) can be allocated to projects in Core in many ways. You can track time and expenses to a single overhead project. Check this article for details on how to do that. You can also track indirect costs to separate projects acting as cost centers. To do so:
- Create an activity item (service) and an expense item in Core that will be used for indirect costs. Typically, you can use GEN:Admin, OVH:Admin, etc. for the services (time entry) and GEN:Expense, ADMIN:Expense, etc. for the expenses (expense entry).
- Create a client record for your own company, say BQE, from the Clients screen.
- Create as many projects as needed from the Projects screen and then associate them to the client you just created (that is, your company). These projects should represent the individual cost centers you want to track.
- For each project, change the Contract Type to Overhead.
- Start using the activity and expense items you created when you log your time and expense entries on any overheads or indirect costs.
- You can run various project time and expenses reports or see the project performance for tracking purposes.