In CORE, the PTO balances are not linked to the PTO account; they are linked to the specific Vacation, Sick, and Holiday activity items as set in Global Settings > Master Information > Time Off.
If you want to combine your vacation and sick time into a single personal time off (PTO) item, it can be done this way:
- In CORE, under Global Settings > Custom Labels > Company, change the label for both Vacation and Sick to PTO.
- From the main menu > Lists > Activity Items, create an activity item called PTO and set it as non-billable.
- Associate this new PTO activity item with both Sick Time and Vacation Time in Global Settings > Master Information > Time Off.
- If you have existing time logged against Vacation and Sick activities, then merge the two activity items into a single PTO item (created above).
- You should use this PTO activity item while logging your personal time off from now on as well as while setting up benefits (CORE HR) for the employees.
Note: When you combine the two activities under the same label, it will display as two separate 'PTO' items rather than a single item on reports, widgets, etc. In some cases, it can also double the value of PTO because CORE fetches the activity items from Global Settings to determine the sick and vacation time. This might cause confusion.
Alternatively, you can have different codes set for each PTO type in Global Settings. However, to use only one item for your PTO (vacation and sick), you can set one of the items, say Sick, as the default GEN:SICK and then make this activity item inactive so that no one uses it in your company. All employees can record the PTO hours under the vacation activity item only (say GEN:VAC).